Our main floor bathroom was lacking…it was lacking charm, character, style. It was boring.
I started by painting the vanity Chelsea Gray. This is the same color that I painted our kitchen cabinets. I switched out the drawer pulls and door handles for these.
Next, I removed the big wall mirror, the light fixture, the toilet tank, and everything else that was on the walls and measured the space. I use plywood for shiplap because it is more affordable than the tongue and groove kind. The sheets are 4’x8′ and I have Home Depot cut them into 8″ strips. This gives me 6 strips per sheet. Home Depot used to do this for free, but this time I was informed that they charge .50 per cut. I got 5 sheets at 5 cuts per sheet and the first two cuts are free, so I paid $11.50 for the cuts. I am ok with it because I always felt a little guilty making them do it, so now I feel better about it!
The next step is to find and mark the studs on the wall. This just makes sure the strips are secure.
Then I used a level to make sure that it was even and used my nailer to attach the plywood strip to the studs in the wall. I used nickels as spacers in between the planks.
I also painted the wall in between the planks so that the wall color didn’t show through the spaces. This is way easier than painting the whole wall before the project. I used a Behr paint called Bakery Box.
I used the level on every plank to make sure that they weren’t off. It goes pretty fast. I decided against doing all the walls and just doing two. There are tricky walls with lots of small spaces and outlets. I like having two accent walls instead.
Here is the before again.
And the after.
I decided the use hooks for the towels instead of racks. Our family isn’t the best at hanging the towels in a neat fashion, so this is easier!
Stay tuned for the next project. I have fun plans for the floor!
Thanks for stopping by!