I knew from the moment that we moved in that this would be a project that I HAD to do. The oak builder grade newel posts and balusters were not in the plan for my home decor theme.
We were scheduled to have new flooring installed, so I knew that I needed to tackle this project before that happened. So I started demo, which was so fun!
I used a jig saw to slice each baluster in the middle and then wiggled them out one by one. They were attached with finishing nails, so I had to try to remove them from the railing. This was harder than I thought it would be. Most of them broke off, so I hammered them into the wood and moved on.
The next step was updating the newel post. I had seen lots of posts on Pinterest and got the idea to build around the existing post with pieces of wood and trim. I was going for a craftsman look.
I originally wanted to take a saw to the ugly knobby thing on the top (I actually tried!) but that was not happening. So I decided to build a box to fit over it. I used a deck post cap for the top of the box and used thin pieces of wood for the box. After I put that on I added trim to cover up any exposed wood.
I decided to use General Finishes Java gel stain on the post and railings. This worked really well. It is easy to apply and only requires a minimal amount of sanding prior to application.
After the flooring was installed, I went to work on the wrought iron balusters. I used these along with the knuckles that can be added. I liked the more simple look instead of the basket design.
I was really scared to drill into the new flooring, but after careful measuring to make sure they were spaced properly I dived right in. The iron balusters had to be cut, so I bought a metal cutting blade for my saw. Thankfully I didn’t start a fire in the garage with all the sparks that were flying!
I really like how it turned out! Let me know what you think.